Packing is one of the hardest parts of any move, and in all of the West London removals we’ve handled, we’ve had a chance to see some pretty poor packing strategies. Most of them involve one simple problem, a lack of knowledge when it comes to selecting the right box. This guide can help you nail it, and make your entire process a bit easier.
A Rule to Live By
Most boxes aren’t designed to carry much more than about 20 kilograms, so be careful as you start putting stuff inside. Even if we’re the West London removal company that will actually carry things out for you, you should be able to move it from room to room on your own. If you can’t, it’s too heavy, and the box could collapse as we go to carry it out the door. Naturally, there are going to be some boxes that are designed to carry a bit more, but ensure those boxes are built for additional weight and that you pack them well. A larger carton, maybe one that runs 22 x 22 can carry a little over 30 kilograms, but if you stuff it full, the weight could create really problems for the box itself.
The Right Box For Everything
Here are some common box sizes and where they might work best as you pack.
- 16 x 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 – This is the most commonly used box, and it’s perfect for your kitchen items, dishes, small appliances, and any lamps you have in your home.
- 18 x 18 x 16 – If you have any electronics to move, this is the right size to meet your needs. It also works well for clothing and pots and pans.
- 18 x 18 x 24 – All of your linens will fit in a box like this, as well those bigger kitchen appliances. If you have large lamps from your living room or bedroom, they’ll fit in this space too.
- 22 x 22 x 21 1/2 – Pillows and large blankets, as well as the cushions from your furniture will fit well in this box. Your child’s toys may also fit well in here.
- Hanging Wardrobe Boxes – These come in a number of different sizes, and all of them have a metal bar across the top so you can hang those close items that shouldn’t be packed flat. You can also use these for chandeliers or even wind chimes that need to hang.
- Mirror Boxes – These are typically telescoping boxes, so the two pieces can be added to each other to fit any mirror or wall art you may have. Just make sure you use a solid tape option to that will withstand the weight you put inside.
- Dish Boxes/ Glass Moving Boxes – These are perfect for your glassware or even liquor bottles. They have dividers inside designed to hold each piece in its own space throughout the move.
We’re experts in the world of West London removals, and we can handle the entire process for you from start to finish. Give us a call today to learn more.
Get a FREE removals quote. Tel. 0333 577 3004
FRIENDLY MOVES LIMITED,